Friday, April 11, 2008

Strawberry Balsamic Sherbet


I spied the season’s first strawberries yesterday and grabbed them. Bright red, plump and calling out to me for immediate purchase, my initial inclination was to make a sorbet. But then I remembered a delicious sherbet I’d had at a friend’s house a few years ago. It was a fresh and bright compilation of fresh strawberries with a splash of really good balsamic vinegar. Very simple and very much in tune with the best of spring’s bounty.

This recipe comes together really fast - no muss, no fuss. The mixture is blended and chilled and then spun in your ice cream maker. Presto! Glace à la fraise, the essence of strawberries.


Bench notes:
- Sherbet is a fruit puree to which a bit of dairy has been added. This is what differentiates it from sorbet, which is basically fruit puree and simple syrup.
- If you happen to have a high quality balsamic vinegar, now is the time to use it.


Strawberry Balsamic Sherbet

1 pound of fresh and fabulous strawberries
3/4 C sugar
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 C heavy cream

Combine fruit and sugar in a food processor or blender. Add balsamic and blend into a puree. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Strain the mixture if seeds bother you. Add cream and freeze in your ice cream maker. Voila!

21 comments:

Aran said...

Great recipe! I am actually going to be making some sherbet this weekend too. I just love the bright colors of your photos! Great job once again.

Hillary said...

This is so perfect for spring/summer. It sounds delicious - thanks!

yen said...

ARRRG! I want an ice cream maker SO BAD! This sounds amazing!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Look at that gorgeous color! The epitome of Springtime. I love it!

Rachel said...

lovely! I love sherbet!

Anonymous said...

Get out! Strawberries? The frost is still coming out of the ground here at home. But I bet the sherbet would be wonderful with the pecan praline cookies....

culinography said...

Mmmm... that looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on that first pint or three of fresh berries!

Jo. said...

I absolutey adore strawberries so I definitely must try this sherbet with balsamic vinegar. Unfortunately April is not a season for strawberries in Poland so I am forced to wait a couple of weeks more to be able to try it out. What a torture!!!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Perfect summer dessert! The photos are great too!

pastry studio said...

Hello berry lovers! I hope you are anticipating this season's crop of fresh fruit as much as I am. First, the strawberries. I hope you get a chance to try this sherbet - it's so easy and fast and a real reminder of all the tasty wonders of the natural world. Cheers!

. . . and your little dog. too said...

What kind of ice cream maker do you have in mind for this?

The old wooden crank kind? The Cuisinart ones I see advertised? Something I haven't even heard of?

Thanks.

pastry studio said...

Helloooooo little dog! I just have a little Cuisinart at home. A very simple and reliable machine. Not very expensive and worth every penny!

. . . and your little dog, too said...

Dear Santa . . . .

Kevin said...

That looks so good. Strawberries and balsamic vinegar are a good combo and using them in a sherbet is a great idea!

Elisabetta said...

Now, I have the perfect recipe for my balsamic vinegar!! Thank you very much!!
Only one question: what type of cream do I have to use? Whipped/whipping/plain? Thanks in advance!

pastry studio said...

Elisabetta, it's heavy cream. I will go in and change my post so it's clearer. You can use whipping cream if that is what you have on hand. FYI, heavy cream has 36% - 40% butterfat and whipping cream has 30% butterfat. For ice creams and sherbets, the higher butterfat content is desirable!

Thanks so much for your question and I really hope you enjoy this special ode to the glorious strawberry!

karyn said...

I made this recipe over the weekend and it's so delicious! It was the perfect thing for all the fresh berries I had.

pastry studio said...

karyn, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's simple, easy and really delicious. What more can you ask for?!

pastry studio said...

karyn, I just visited your blog and it's really stunning! I love fabric and design and all the things you write about. Thanks so much for stopping by so I could discover it.

Elisabetta said...

I finally managed to prepare it too.. it is really awesome!! Can I translate this recipe in italian for my blog? Many thanks for inspiration!!

Linda said...

I am enjoying some right now--it's PHENOMENAL!!! Thanks for the recipe!!